Monday, February 14
6:00 PM-7:00 PM
This second Webinar in our Kairos-supported* events focuses on:
- What is included and what was omitted in the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resource’s draft Environmental Impact Statement (dEIS) on the proposed re-routing of Enbridge Line 5.
- What points to highlight in written responses to the WI DNR within the public response period (closing on March 4, 2022).
- Resources and toolkits for effective letters to the WI DNR and government leaders.
This 60-minute Webinar consists of:
- A 25-minute presentation by guest speaker, Gillian Buckardt, giving an overview of what is in and what is missing in the dEIS and its implications.
- A 15-minute presentation by guest speaker, Philomena Kebec, on impacts of the oil extraction industries on our tribal communities.
Gillian Buckardt is a graduating senior from Lawrence University with majors in geoscience and environmental studies, focusing her senior capstone on the hydrogeology and environmental justice implications of Line 5. With support from faculty and local organizers, her work led to an in-depth analysis of the dEIS and a companion literature review to illustrate the document in a transparent, accessible way in preparation for public comments to the DNR. Transplanted from Chicago, Gillian has worked on carbon sequestration, soil, and biodiversity research at Lawrence and is one of the founding members of Sunrise Fox Valley.
Philomena Kebec belongs to the Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa. She moved home 10 years ago to advocate for protection of watershed resources. Philomena is an elected Ashland County Supervisor and runs a small nonprofit, Badriverharmreduction.org that provides services to prevent overdose and infection for people who use drugs. (She would welcome financial support for her nonprofit.) Philomena is deeply knowledgeable about the Bad River watershed and its residents.
Register in advance for this webinar at: https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_JiGj1oHTSLan_zNjBvq-hQ
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
*A Webinar sponsored by First Congregational UCC Appleton with support from the Wisconsin UCC Creation Care Team and a Wisconsin Conference UCC’s Kairos/Catalyst grant.
Leave a Reply