Thursday evenings, 6:30-8:00 PM – January 27, February 3, 10, 17, 24
Join the Transformational Justice Campaign leaders of EXPO and WISDOM for a 5-part Zoom series on mass incarceration in Wisconsin. Register now at: https://secure.everyaction.com/bkRQt5QXuEO5Fy-z7bxyrQ2
In the series, we will learn from experts, including people directly impacted by Wisconsin’s criminal legal system. We will learn about many aspects of the system, including:
- Front End Issues: Things that happen BEFORE a person goes to jail or prison, like the “school to prison pipeline,” policing practices, and the availability of alternatives to incarceration, especially for people with mental health and/or addiction issues;
- Sentencing: How Wisconsin’s sentencing policies and practices have added to prison populations and have resulted in more elderly and seriously ill people behind bars;
- Conditions of Confinement: Including how the use of Solitary Confinement makes prisons less safe, and makes rehabilitation harder;
- Crimeless Revocations, Probation, Parole and Extended Supervision: How Wisconsin’s overuse of “Supervision” leads to unnecessary incarceration and unnecessary hardship for people after they are released from prison;
- Bringing More People Home: How programs like “Earned Release” and “Compassionate Release” can be used to reduce the number of people in prison;
- Local Issues: How local campaigns and local elections can make a difference.
Besides learning about the system and how it works, you will learn how YOU can be part of the effort to make a difference. The series will show a variety of “on-ramps” for people who want to be part of the solution. There will be options for people without much time, and options for people who want to be deeply involved in an issue. The goal will be to help everyone find a place in the campaign for change.
The series is open to everyone –including “beginners” who only know there is a problem and want to help. We also encourage veterans of the campaign for reform to participate. Together, we want to build the campaign that can reverse injustice.
For any questions, please contact David Liners at [email protected] or Peggy West-Schroder at [email protected].
Leave a Reply