Employment Opportunities at First Congregational United Church of Christ, Appleton
Director for Youth Ministries –
First Congregational United Church of Christ of Appleton, WI is seeking a Director for Youth Ministries. The Director for Youth Ministries primarily develops and leads the middle school youth ministry. This individual works closely with a variety of professionals on an interdisciplinary staff in a progressive and welcoming church. The Director helps youth to deepen the Christian faith of Middle School youth by offering them leadership and service opportunities, by promoting a sense of belonging, and connecting them to one another. The Director may also implement other events which are designed for both middle and high school students to attend. This is a part time position with flexible hours (approximately 20-35 hours per week) that will include some nights and weekends. Compensation includes excellent paid time off benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Youth Ministry: include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Facilitate and strengthen the existing middle school youth ministry of First Congregational UCC by deepening caring relationships with students, empowering gifted adults and fostering a welcoming atmosphere of belonging and fellowship.
- Recruit, coach, deploy and coordinate volunteers in the middle youth ministries using a ministry team approach.
- Implement the Youth Ministry Architects model developed by First Congregational UCC in all aspects of this ministry.
- Directly develop relationships with youth, parents and volunteers by taking interest in their lives and weaving the youth ministries into the intergenerational life of First Congregational UCC.
- Build relationships with the entire staff of First Congregational UCC, seeking to work collaboratively and supportively with our larger church’s mission, values and intergenerational focus.
- Foster and resource student leadership in the youth ministry.
- Possess a heart for shepherding and encouraging youth in their faith and personal journeys; display a strong personal commitment to faith.
- Display strong administrative, planning, organizational and communication skills.
- Lead summer middle school weekend mission trip and possibly lead overnights and/or weekend retreats.
- Serve as a key voice and advocate for the youth ministry in an interdisciplinary, collegial environment. Attend staff meetings.
- Plan, resource, and lead the Wednesday evening Middle School ministry which is an intentional educational program including curriculum, service projects, fellowship, and other activities.
- Attend high school events as needed and/or available.
- Consider spending up to one week per summer at either UCCI camps in a leadership role.
Supervisory Responsibilities: include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise adult volunteers working with youth.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include recruiting and training volunteers; planning, assigning and directing work; evaluating performance; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
- The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree or equivalent and have participated in Bible or theology classes or other religious training.
- Experience working with youth, youth ministry or related field preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and ability to learn other applicable computer programs and office equipment.
- Must exhibit a faith and possess values supportive of the United Church of Christ and First Congregational UCC.
- Strong interpersonal, time-management and delegation skills.
- Displays sound judgment, a positive attitude and professional conduct, including the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Valid driver license; background check required.
- Able to use staircases, walk, sit, bend and lift. Ability to lift 20 pounds.
- Please submit a cover letter and résumé with at least 3 references not related to the applicant, to [email protected]
- Questions? Contact Carolyn Frederick at 920-733-7393 .